It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new.
But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful.
There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
Alan Cohen
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Spanish Lessons

After a year of the "total immersion" method of learning to speak Spanish or Castellano, we decided to get a teacher . Personally, I dreaded it a tiny bit, I was intimidated by the idea of being the clueless student with a teacher half my age, feeling completely stupid , just a total dope.

At the end of our first class, we asked if we can take two classes a week - this is Fun !
Not only was it Fun, but it all makes so much sense !
I have a good vocabulary, I know a lot of Big Words, I use them when I can, I like them ! But they are all in English.

Now I am reduced to three word sentences, a lot of mime and hand signals.
It is amazingly frustrating when you have SO much to say , most of it terribly witty but you don't know the words.

I love having my new notebook, my new pencils and new pens. I do my homework and study with my husband. He is a much better student than I. He studies every morning, I study the night before the class. He will be her star student, wait and see.

I was so pleased when I knew the answers on today's papers and thought how pathetically excited I was when she said "Muy bien".. if only I had been this good a student when I was a kid.

I might even speak Spanish already, but no, not with that teacher who took such delight in squeezing my mouth up and telling to to say "Ohhh" without sounding Southern. Not sound Southern? I lived in North Carolina !
I would sound British if I had a choice but so far, I could only manage Southern and be embarrassed in front of the class.
This teacher made up for all of that.... Muy Bien !

We enjoy taking our Spanish lessons, I can say Hello and Goodbye and Count to at least 100 and say my ABC's - soon I will get a Gold Star.
We love our professora, she is lovely , funny and helpful and she also teaches the British Ambassador. I would like to take our classes at his house but they have not invited us yet, so we stay in our own little casa and for an hour, my brain is turned into mush and I start babbling in French ... don't ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome..Thank you.

Living in Argentina

Living in Argentina

Blog Archive

Pages

And Don't Forget To Visit Me Here Too !

See more photos here

sunset in Buenos Aires

Powered By Blogger